The following post is the first one in a (hopefully) longer series of reviews and ...
Last updated Jan. 24, 2020, 4:18 p.m. by Author
The post below contains a curated and regularly updated list of recommended apps for the desktop users (Windows & Linux).
All of the apps listed here are open source and free as in freedom.
If are looking for an alternative to one of the apps you are currently using, you should look at alternativeTo.
Another great resource to find the answer to the question: "What are the best applications that..." is Slant.
Linux users should look here - this is a list with a vast number of different applications grouped in categories.
Moreover, because Flatpak is becoming the new cross distribution standard for publishing software, you can also check Flathub to discover new apps.
Because the list is periodically updated, if you want to stay up to date with the latest additions and deletions, you can use the Web Pages Scanner extension to be notified about any changes made here.
Table of contents:
Because of the privacy concerns, you should not use Windows 10. There are a lot of different Linux distros to choose from, but for me personally Manjaro is the best one when you want to start your Linux journey.
There are a few reasons for that:
It just works out of the box. The recommendation is made for an average person and I assume that over 90% of them are still using Windows. So putting there the Arch Linux as a recommended OS would not make any sense, it would only discourage somebody from making the switch after a failed installation. Of course there are better alternatives for somebody looking for privacy and security solutions as Qubes OS, Whonix and Tails, but none of them can be recommended as a daily driver.
Rolling release, so there is no need to reinstall it from time to time.
Based on the amazing Arch Linux.
It has access the AUR. And for me personally the Arch User Repository is the greatest thing about Arch - you have a one-click access to almost every app that could be run on Linux.
If you are a Linux veteran, you probably have your favourite Linux distro already, so you can just use it.
The best app to put the downloaded Manjaro ISO on a USB drive is Etcher.
VeraCrypt is a free open source disk encryption software for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux, based on TrueCrypt 7.1a.
VeraCrypt main features:
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
- Encryption is automatic, real-time(on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
- Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.
- Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password: Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
Free client-side encryption for your cloud files. It creates a virtual hard drive called vault. Everything you put onto the virtual hard drive ends up encrypted.
Compared to other disk encryption utilities, Cryptomator encrypts each file individually. So if you edit just a small text file, only the corresponding encrypted file is changed.
This way the synchronization client of your cloud storage provider knows exactly what needs to be uploaded and what doesn't.
KeePassXC is a community fork of KeePassX, a native cross-platform port of KeePass Password Safe, with the goal to extend and improve it with new features and bugfixes to provide a feature-rich, fully cross-platform and modern open-source password manager.
Currently the best password manager out there. It does not offer a cloud solution, but this is a feature - you should be the one who chooses where to store your own passwords.
You should use it together with KeePass Tusk, a Firefox extension which adds KeePass functionality to your browser and can autofill usernames and passwords.
Tusk can access KeePass files stored in Dropbox, Google Drive, Onedrive, PCloud, OwnCloud, and NextCloud.
Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.
- Private. None of your data is ever stored anywhere else other than on your computers. There is no central server that might be compromised, legally or illegally.
- Encrypted. All communication is secured using TLS. The encryption used includes perfect forward secrecy to prevent any eavesdropper from ever gaining access to your data.
- Authenticated. Every node is identified by a strong cryptographic certificate. Only nodes you have explicitly allowed can connect to your cluster.
- Web GUI. Configure and monitor Syncthing via a responsive and powerful interface accessible via your browser.
- Portable. Works on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, Android and BSD. Run it on your desktop computers and synchronize them with your server for backup.
- Simple. Syncthing doesn't need IP addresses or advanced configuration: it just works, over LAN and over the Internet. Every machine is identified by an ID. Just give your ID to your friends, share a folder and watch: UPnP will do if you don't want to port forward or you don't know how.
- Powerful. Synchronize as many folders as you need with different people.
Free backup software to store encrypted backups online.
Duplicati works with standard protocols like FTP, SSH, WebDAV as well as popular services like Microsoft OneDrive, Amazon Cloud Drive & S3, Google Drive, box.com, Mega, hubiC and many others.
Backup files and folders with strong AES-256 encryption. Save space with incremental backups and data deduplication. Run backups on any machine through the web-based interface or via command line interface. Duplicati has a built-in scheduler and auto-updater.
Vorta is a backup client for macOS and Linux desktops. It integrates the mighty BorgBackup with your desktop environment to protect your data from disk failure, ransomware and theft.
- Encrypted, deduplicated and compressed backups using Borg as backend.
- No vendor lock-in – back up to local drives, your own server or BorgBase, a hosting service for Borg backups.
- Open source – free to use, modify, improve and audit.
- Flexible profiles to group source folders, backup destinations and schedules.
- One place to view all point-in-time archives and restore individual files.
One of the easiest firewalls in the world.
OpenSnitch is a GNU/Linux port of the Little Snitch application firewall.
Simple tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) which can configure network activity on your computer.
The lightweight application is less than a megabyte, and it is compatible with Windows Vista and higher operating systems. You can download either the installer or portable version. For correct working, needs administrator rights.
- Simple interface without annoying pop ups
- Rules editor (create your own rules)
- Internal blocklist rules (block Windows spy / telemetry)
- Dropped packets information with notification and logging to a file feature (win7+)
- Allowed packets information with logging to a file feature (win8+)
- Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) support (win10)
- Windows Store support (win8+)
- Windows services support
- Free and open source
- Localization support
- IPv6 support
When your computer is getting full, BleachBit quickly frees disk space. When your information is only your business, BleachBit guards your privacy. With BleachBit you can free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there.
Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean thousands of applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
Under Windows you should also use the additional cleaning routines called Winapp2.
Qomui (Qt OpenVPN Management UI) is an easy-to-use OpenVPN/WireGuard gui for GNU/Linux with some unique features such as provider-independent support for double-hop connections. Qomui supports multiple providers with added convenience when using AirVPN, PIA, ProtonVPN, Windscribe or Mullvad.
- should work with all VPN providers that offer OpenVPN config files
- automatic download function for Mullvad, Private Internet Access, Windscribe, ProtonVPN and AirVPN
- support for OpenVPN over SSL and SSH for AirVPN and OpenVPN over SSL for Windscribe (Stealth Mode)
- allows double-hop VPN connections (VPN chains) between different providers
- gui written in PyQt including option to minimize application to system tray
- security-conscious separation of the gui and a D-Bus service that handles commands that require root privileges
- protection against DNS leaks/ipv6 leaks
iptables-based, configurable firewall that blocks all outgoing network traffic in case the VPN connection breaks down
allow applications to bypass the VPN tunnel, open a second VPN tunnel or use the VPN only for specific applications
- experimental support for WireGuard
- command-line interface
- automatic weekly updates of server configurations for supported providers - experimental
OnionShare is an open source tool that lets you securely and anonymously share a file of any size. A web server is started, making OnionShare accessible as a Tor Onion Service, potentially temporarily or in a stealthy manner, over the Internet. An unguessable address is generated and is shared for the recipient to open in the Tor Browser to download the files. No separate server or third party file-sharing service required. You host the files on your own computer.
The huge drawback of this software is that it is very slow, as the transfer is made through the Tor Network.
Social Amnesia aims to make your social media only exist within a time period that you choose. For many people, there is no reason they want to have years old tweets or reddit comments existing and making it easier for online marketers and jilted ex-lovers to profile you. With Social Amnesia, set the time period you want to keep, whitelist posts and items you want to preserve indefinitely, and let Social Amnesia wipe the rest out of existence.
- Delete comments and submissions, showing you every item that will be deleted and asking you to confirm their deletion before running.
- Edits your posts before deleting them. According to the reddit admins this is an effective way to remove content from reddit.
- Keep a time range of comments and submissions (in hours)
- Keep comments or submissions that are above a certain amount of upvotes.
- Skip gilded comments/submissions.
- Whitelist specific posts and comments you want to save.
- Delete tweets, retweets, replies and remove "favorites" (aka hearts), showing you every item that will be deleted/removed and asking you to confirm their deletion before running.
- Keep a time range of tweets, retweets, replies and favorites.
- In the case of favorites, this is done by the time the favorited item was created, NOT the time it was favorited at.
- Keep tweets that have a certain amount of retweets or favorites.
- This option ignores retweets, these will be removed no matter what if they are out of the time range.
- Whitelist specific tweets and favorites you want to save.
Wireshark is the world’s foremost and widely-used network protocol analyzer. It lets you see what’s happening on your network at a microscopic level and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many commercial and non-profit enterprises, government agencies, and educational institutions. Wireshark development thrives thanks to the volunteer contributions of networking experts around the globe and is the continuation of a project started by Gerald Combs in 1998.
Wireshark has a rich feature set which includes the following:
- Deep inspection of hundreds of protocols, with more being added all the time
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Standard three-pane packet browser
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows, Linux, macOS, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and many others
- Captured network data can be browsed via a GUI, or via the TTY-mode TShark utility
- The most powerful display filters in the industry
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Read/write many different capture file formats: tcpdump (libpcap), Pcap NG, Catapult DCT2000, Cisco Secure IDS iplog, Microsoft Network Monitor, Network General Sniffer® (compressed and uncompressed), Sniffer® Pro, and NetXray®, Network Instruments Observer, NetScreen snoop, Novell LANalyzer, RADCOM WAN/LAN Analyzer, Shomiti/Finisar Surveyor, Tektronix K12xx, Visual Networks Visual UpTime, WildPackets EtherPeek/TokenPeek/AiroPeek, and many others
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Live data can be read from Ethernet, IEEE 802.11, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Bluetooth, USB, Token Ring, Frame Relay, FDDI, and others (depending on your platform)
- Decryption support for many protocols, including IPsec, ISAKMP, Kerberos, SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- Coloring rules can be applied to the packet list for quick, intuitive analysis
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript®, CSV, or plain text
O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated.
This is not an open source app, but it is definitely the best one out there to block Windows 10 spying.
Open source alternatives:
CopyQ is advanced clipboard manager with editing and scripting features. It monitors system clipboard and saves its content in customized tabs. Saved clipboard can be later copied and pasted directly into any application. Features:
- Support for Linux, Windows and OS X 10.9+
- Store text, HTML, images or any other custom formats
- Quickly browse and filter items in clipboard history
- Sort, create, edit, remove, copy/paste, drag'n'drop items in tabs
- Add notes or tags to items
- System-wide shortcuts with customizable commands
- Paste items with shortcut or from tray or main window
- Fully customizable appearance
- Advanced command-line interface and scripting
- Ignore clipboard copied from some windows or containing some text
- Support for simple Vim-like editor and shortcuts
- Many more features
Polo is a modern, light-weight file manager for Linux with support for multiple panes and tabs; support for archives, and much more:
- Multiple Panes - Single-pane, dual-pane (vertical or horizontal split) and quad-pane layouts. Supports multiple tabs in each pane. Each tab has an embedded terminal which can be toggled with the F4 key.
- Multiple Views - List view, Icon view, Tiled view and Media view.
- Device Manager - Devices popup displays list of connected devices with options to mount and unmount. Supports locking/unlocking LUKS encrypted devices.
- Archive Support - Support for browsing archives as normal folders. Supports creation of archives in multiple formats with advanced compression settings.
- PDF Actions - Actions in right-click menu: Split and Merge pages, Add or Remove Password, Rotate, etc.
- ISO Actions - Actions in right-click menu: Mount, Boot in VM, Write to USB
- Image Actions - Actions in right-click menu: Rotate, Resize, Reduce Quality, Optimize PNG, Convert to other formats, Boot or Reduce Colors, etc.
- Checksum & Hashing - Actions in right-click menu to generate MD5, SHA1, SHA2-256 ad SHA2-512 checksums for file and folders. Double-click on files with .md5, .sha1, .sha2, .sha256, .sha512 extensions to verify.
- Video Downloads - Paste URLs from YouTube and other video websites in a folder to download video files. Integrates with youtube-dl utility.
Double Commander is a free cross platform open source file manager with two panels side by side. It is inspired by Total Commander and features some new ideas.
Some key features:
- Internal text editor (F4) with syntax hightlighting
- Built in file viewer (F3) to view files of in hex, binary or text format
- Archives are handled like subdirectories. You can easily copy files to and from archives. Supported archive types: ZIP, TAR GZ, TGZ, LZMA and also BZ2, RPM, CPIO, DEB, RAR
- Extended search function with full text search in any files
- Configurable button bar to start external programs or internal menu commands
- Total Commander WCX, WDX and WLX plug-ins support
Alternatively, if you are a Linux user, you can also take a look at Krusader.
PeaZip is free file archiver utility, based on Open Source technologies of 7-Zip, p7zip, FreeArc, PAQ, and PEA projects.
Cross-platform, full-featured but user-friendly alternative to WinRar, WinZip and similar general purpose archive manager applications, open and extract 180+ archive formats: 001, 7Z, ACE(*), ARC, ARJ, BZ2, CAB, DMG, GZ, ISO, LHA, PAQ, PEA, RAR, TAR, UDF, WIM, XZ, ZIP ZIPX - view full list of supported archive file formats for archiving and for extraction.
In essence, it is a more user-friendly alternative to the wonderful 7-Zip
With ConvertAll, you can combine the units any way you want. If you want to convert from inches per decade, that's fine. Or from meter-pounds. Or from cubic nautical miles. The units don't have to make sense to anyone else.
Ant Renamer is a free program that makes easier the renaming of lots of files and folders by using specified settings. It supports Unicode names.
KDE Connect is a project that enables all your devices to communicate with each other. Here's a few things KDE Connect can do:
- Receive your phone notifications on your desktop computer and reply to messages
- Control music playing on your desktop from your phone
- Use your phone as a remote control for your desktop
- Run predefined commands on your PC from connected devices. See the list of example commands for more details.
- Check your phones battery level from the desktop
- Ring your phone to help finding it
- Share files and links between devices
- Browse your phone from the desktop
- Control the desktop's volume from the phone
To achieve this, KDE Connect:
- implements a secure communication protocol over the network, and allows any developer to create plugins on top of it.
- Has a component that you install on your desktop.
- Has a KDE Connect client app you run on your phone.
PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.
PhotoRec is free - this open source multi-platform application is distributed under GNU General Public License (GPLV v2+). PhotoRec is a companion program to TestDisk, an application for recovering lost partitions on a wide variety of file systems and making non-bootable disks bootable again. You can download them from this link.
For more safety, PhotoRec uses read-only access to handle the drive or memory card you are about to recover lost data from. Important: As soon as a picture or file is accidentally deleted, or you discover any missing, do NOT save any more pictures or files to that memory device or hard disk drive; otherwise you may overwrite your lost data. This means that while using PhotoRec, you must not choose to write the recovered files to the same partition they were stored on.
The Engauge Digitizer tool accepts image files (like PNG, JPEG and TIFF) containing graphs, and recovers the data points from those graphs. The resulting data points are usually used as input to other software applications. Conceptually, Engauge Digitizer is the opposite of a graphing tool that converts data points to graphs. The process is shown below - an image file is imported, digitized within Engauge, and exported as a table of numeric data to a text file.
Catfish is a versatile file searching tool. Catfish is a search GUI powered by locate and find behind the scenes, with autocompletion from Zeitgeist and locate. The advanced options allow filtering by date and file type. The interface is intentionally lightweight and simple, using only GTK+.
You can also try ANGRYsearch.
Recoll finds documents based on their contents as well as their file names.
- Qt 4 GUI, plus command line, Unity Lens, KIO and krunner interfaces.
- Searches most common document types, emails and their attachments. Transparently handles decompression (gzip, bzip2).
- Powerful query facilities, with boolean searches, phrases, proximity, wildcards, filter on file types and directory tree.
- Multi-language and multi-character set with Unicode based internals.
- Extensive documentation, with a complete user manual and manual pages for each command.
SpeedCrunch is a high-precision scientific calculator featuring a fast, keyboard-driven user interface. It is the best replacement for the system calculator app.
SpeedCrunch comes with over 80 built-in mathematical functions. You can also define your own functions.
Variables allow you to store your results. Perform calculations with up to 50 digits of precision, using complex numbers, numeral bases, unit conversions, and more.
Auto-completion allows you to speed up your task.
Application launcher for Linux. Type in an application name without worrying about spelling. Ulauncher will figure out what you meant. It also remembers your previous choices and automatically selects the best option for you.
Improve your workflow with customizable shortcuts and extensions. Create a shortcut for web search or your scripts or install a 3rd party extension.
Windows alternative to Ulauncher. It does not offer as many functions and does not support extensions, but it does its main job of launching apps and finding files.
Clonezilla is a partition and disk imaging/cloning program similar to True Image or Norton Ghost. It helps you to do system deployment, bare metal backup and recovery. Two types of Clonezilla are available, Clonezilla live and Clonezilla SE (server edition). Clonezilla live is suitable for single machine backup and restore. While Clonezilla SE is for massive deployment, it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously. Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the hard disk. This increases the clone efficiency.
FreeFileSync is a folder comparison and synchronization software that creates and manages backup copies of all your important files. Instead of copying every file every time, FreeFileSync determines the differences between a source and a target folder and transfers only the minimum amount of data needed.
It is extremely fast in comparing two directories.
Timeshift for Linux is an application that provides functionality similar to the System Restore feature in Windows and the Time Machine tool in Mac OS. Timeshift protects your system by taking incremental snapshots of the file system at regular intervals. These snapshots can be restored at a later date to undo all changes to the system.
Timeshift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.
Back In Time is a simple backup tool for Linux, inspired by "flyback project".
It provides a command line client 'backintime' and a Qt5 GUI 'backintime-qt' both written in Python3.
You only need to specify 3 things:
- where to save snapshots
- what folders to backup
- backup frequency (manual, every hour, every day, every month)
DeadLock is a free file and folder unlocking utility. It can help you unlock files or folders that you're unable to delete, copy, rename or move.
Bulk Crap Uninstaller (in short BCUninstaller or BCU) is a free (as in speech and beer) bulk program uninstaller with advanced automation. It excels at removing large amounts of applications with minimal to no user input, while requiring next to no technical knowledge.
It can detect most applications and games (even portable or not registered), clean up leftovers, force uninstall, automatically uninstall according to premade lists, and much more.
Versatile and portable software designed to clean, tweak and optimize Windows. It's extremely fast and rich with features.
Stacer is an open source system optimizer and application monitor that helps users to manage entire system with different aspects, its an all in one system utility.
Latte is a dock based on plasma frameworks that provides an elegant and intuitive experience for your tasks and plasmoids. It animates its contents by using parabolic zoom effect and trys to be there only when it is needed.
The best dock out there.
kalu (which could stand for "Keeping Arch Linux Up-to-date") is a small application that will add an icon to your systray and sit there, regularly checking if there's anything new for you to upgrade. As soon as it finds something, it'll show a notification to let you know about it. Very classic stuff.
QDirStat is a graphical application to show where your disk space has gone and to help you to clean it up.
This is a Qt-only port of the old Qt3/KDE3-based KDirStat, now based on the latest Qt 5. It does not need any KDE libs or infrastructure. It runs on every X11-based desktop on Linux, BSD and other Unix-like systems.
QDirStat has a number of new features compared to KDirStat. To name a few:
- Multi-selection in both the tree and the treemap.
- Unlimited number of user-defined cleanup actions.
- Properly show errors of cleanup actions (and their output, if desired).
- File categories (MIME types) and their treemap color are now configurable.
- Exclude rules for directories are easily configurable.
- Desktop-agnostic; no longer relies on KDE or any other specific desktop.
dnGrep allows you to search across files with easy-to-read results. Search through text files, Word documents, PDFs, and archives using text, regular expression, XPath, and phonetic queries. dnGrep includes search-and-replace, whole-file preview, right-click search in File Explorer, and much more.
Features: - Search across text files, Word documents, PDFs, and archives - Search using text, regular expressions (regex), XPath, and phonetics - Search-and-replace, including undo - Whole-file preview - Right-click to search in File Explorer - Move/copy/delete result files - Open line results in a custom editor, like Notepad++ - Bookmark search patterns for later use - Try out complex searches in the Test window - Much more!
Yin & Yang is a KDE tool which brings Auto Night-mode for KDE, VSCode and all GTK Apps like Firefox, Libreoffice and Chromium. On Top of that it let´s you specify Wallpaper swhich will be toggled alongisde. Yin & Yang styles all KDE and QT5 tools, furthermore it also themes VSCode or VSCodium. You can activate a Theme-toggle with shortcuts or let Yin-Yang toggle themes at scheduled Times.
LibreOffice is a powerful office suite - its clean interface and feature-rich tools help you unleash your creativity and enhance your productivity. LibreOffice includes several applications that make it the most powerful Free and Open Source office suite on the market - the best alternative to Microsoft Office.
Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.). Plain Markdown files can also be imported.
The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
The application is available for Windows, Linux, macOS, Android and iOS. A Web Clipper, to save web pages and screenshots from your browser, is also available for Firefox.
An interesting alternative to Joplin written using the Qt framework is QOwnNotes.
MindForger is human mind inspired personal knowledge management tool. The best note-taking and knowledge gathering tool available.
MindForger aims to mimic human mind - learning, recalling, recognition, associations, forgetting - in order to achieve synergy with your mind to make your searching, reading and writing more productive.
MindForger starts where editors and search engines end. It thinks as you search, browse, read and write. Once you find a remark, MindForger brings its associations. As you browse notes and read them it looks up related relevant knowledge in your notebooks. If you edit a remark, MindForger brings associations as you write. It reminds you about existing content related to the text being written.
Currently it lacks a web clipper, it has also some bugs to be sorted out. After those will be taken care of it will be my preferred tool over Joplin mentioned above.
Note for Windows users: consider changing UI theme to native (under Mind -> Adapt), otherwise it may look a bit out of place as it was originally developed as a Linux application.
A distraction-free Markdown editor. Features:
- Built-in Themes
- Live HTML Preview
- Export to Multiple Formats
- Focus Mode
- Hemingway Mode
- Document and Session Statistics
- Drag and Drop Images
- Custom Theme Creation
For me personally, it provides a wonderful writing experience. All of the posts I publish here were written using ghostwriter.
Windows user should use this link to download the latest binary.
Manuskript is an open-source tool for writers, with outliner, character management, plot development, distraction-free editor, etc.
Outliner - Organize your thoughts and snippets in a hierarchical manner. Organize them as you wish, reorganize them on the go.
Distraction-free mode - Get rid of all distraction while writing. Set personal goal in word count or time before you can leave editor.
Novel assistant - Use the snowflake method to grow your single genius idea in an coherent whole, with complex characters, intricate plots and detailed universe.
Manuskript is still in development, and in need of extensive testing.
A great GTK 3.0 alternative to ghostwriter (which is Qt based), unfortunately available only for Linux users.
Warning: This app is still very early in development. There are many bugs and unfinished features.
- View and edit markdown documents
- HTML and LaTeX conversion of markdown documents with scidown
- Support for YAML headers
- Document classes
- Beamer/presentation mode (
- Abstract sections
- Table of Contents
- External document inclusion
- Equations, figures, table and listings with reference id and caption
- Internal references
- Extra scientific syntax of SciDwon wiki
- TeX math rendering with KaTeX and MathJax
- Support for mermaid diagrams
- Support for charter for plot
- Syntax highlighting for code blocks with highlight.js
- Integrated sketch editor
- Flexible export options with pandoc
- Custom CSS themes
- Custom syntax themes
- Native Gtk+3 application
Lifeograph has all the basic features one might expect from a diary program and a few more:
- Supports encrypted (with real AES256 encryption) and unencrypted diaries
- Automatically logs out when not used for some time (to protect your diary when you forget to log out doing some other thing) (optional)
- Automatically formats entry titles and subheadings
- Wiki-like rich text formatting (bold, italic, =strikeout=, etc...)
- Basic searching/filtering and replacing text
- Themes in text editor
- Favorite entries
- Various to-do management features
- Very strong support for tagging, including parametric tags
- Spell checking
- Links between entries, and to URIs (http://, file://, mailto://, etc...)
- Automatic backups
- Printing individual entries or whole diaries
- Statistical charts (from v1.4 on some serious analytical capabilities when combined with parametric tags)
- Images and charts in entries
- Synchronization of diary files with each other (such as different versions on different machines)
- Export diary file to plain text
Sumatra PDF is powerful, small, portable and starts up very fast.
Simplicity of the user interface has a high priority.
Okular is a universal document viewer developed by KDE. Okular combines the excellent functionalities with the versatility of supporting different kind of documents, like PDF, Postscript, DjVu, CHM, XPS, ePub and others.
Artha is a handy thesaurus that focuses on high usability, without trading off simplicity and ease of use. It has the following distinct features that increases its usability:
- WordNet - Artha harnesses the extensive & in-depth database provided by WordNet. Unlike other dictionaries which goes on-line for every single lookup, Artha works completely off-line; thanks to WordNet for its excellent and cognitive database.
- Hot key Lookup - When you press a pre-set hot key, after selecting some text on any window, Artha pops up with the selection's definitions looked-up.
- Regular Expressions Search - When a word is vaguely known I.e. the user is unclear of its spelling or when it's start/end alone is known or when the number of characters is known; one can speed up/narrow the search using regular expression to locate the particular word they have in mind.
- Notifications - Artha can show passive notifications (balloon tips) instead of the application's window popping up, so that you can continue what you were doing, uninterrupted. (like reading, writing, etc.)
- Suggestions - When a misspelled word is queried for, Artha gives you its near-match suggestions.
- Relative to Sense Mapping - Relative words like synonyms, antonyms, etc. that are displayed are many. You might not know to which sense/definition of a word does a relative map to. In Artha, when you select a relative, its corresponding definition is scrolled to and highlighted for easy comprehension.
For a given word, the possible relatives shown by Artha includes Synonyms, Antonyms, Derivatives, Pertainyms (Related Noun/Verb), Attributes, Similar Terms, Domain Terms, Entails (what verb entails doing), Causes (what a verb causes to), Hypernyms (is a kind of), Hyponyms (kinds), Holonyms (is a part of) and Meronyms (parts). To know more about each category of relatives, click on it for an explanation and example. Once launched, Artha sits on the system tray and looks for the pre-set hot key combination press. You can select some text on any window, and call Artha by pressing the key combo. Depending upon the option set, Artha with either pop-up with the word looked-up or will show a passive notification of the most important definition of the searched term, from the system tray.
Font Manager is intended to provide a way for average users to easily manage desktop fonts, without having to resort to command line tools or editing configuration files by hand. While designed primarily with the Gnome Desktop Environment in mind, it should work well with other Gtk+ desktop environments.
Zotero is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share research.
Zotero is the only software that automatically senses research on the web. Need an article from JSTOR or a preprint from arXiv.org? A news story from the New York Times or a book from a library? Zotero has you covered, everywhere.
Zotero helps you organize your research any way you want. You can sort items into collections and tag them with keywords. Or create saved searches that automatically fill with relevant materials as you work.
Zotero instantly creates references and bibliographies for any text editor, and directly inside Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs. With support for over 9,000 citation styles, you can format your work to match any style guide or publication.
LyX combines the power and flexibility of TeX/LaTeX with the ease of use of a graphical interface. This results in world-class support for creation of mathematical content (via a fully integrated equation editor) and structured documents like academic articles, theses, and books. In addition, staples of scientific authoring such as reference list and index creation come standard. But you can also use LyX to create a letter or a novel or a theatre play or film script. A broad array of ready, well-designed document layouts are built in.
LyX is for people who want their writing to look great, right out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting details, “finger painting” font attributes or futzing around with page boundaries. You just write. On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output — or richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced — looks like nothing else.
- QIF, CSV, SKROOGE, KMYMONEY import/export
- Microsoft Money, OFX, QFX, MT940, GNUCASH, GRISBI, HOMEBANK and MONEY MANAGER EX import
- Advanced Graphical Reports
- Several tabs to help you organize your work
- Infinite undo/redo (even after the file was closed !)
- Instant filtering on operations and reports
- Infinite categories levels
- Mass update of operations
- Scheduled operations
- Track refund of your expenses
- Automatically process operations based on search conditions
- Multi currencies
Anki is a program which makes remembering things easy. Because it's a lot more efficient than traditional study methods, you can either greatly decrease your time spent studying, or greatly increase the amount you learn.
Anyone who needs to remember things in their daily life can benefit from Anki. Since it is content-agnostic and supports images, audio, videos and scientific markup (via LaTeX), the possibilities are endless.
- Learning a language
- Studying for medical and law exams
- Memorizing people's names and faces
- Brushing up on geography
- Mastering long poems
- Even practicing guitar chords
GIMP is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems.
Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist, GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization options and 3rd party plugins.
Krita is a professional free and open source painting program. It is made by artists that want to see affordable art tools for everyone.
- concept art
- texture and matte painters
- illustrations and comics
Whether you are an illustrator, designer, web designer or just someone who needs to create some vector imagery, Inkscape is for you.
- Flexible drawing tools
- Broad file format compatibility
- Powerful text tool
- Bezier and spiro curves
An easy, intuitive tool to make 2D hand-drawn animations.
Lightweight and easy to use so you can focus on animating and not what button to hit next.
Seamlessly switch between raster and vector workflows, allowing you to sketch, ink & paint on the go.
Pencil is built for the purpose of providing a free and open-source GUI prototyping tool that people can easily install and use to create mockups in popular desktop platforms.
Blender is the free and open source 3D creation suite. It supports the entirety of the 3D pipeline—modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing and motion tracking, even video editing and game creation. Advanced users employ Blender’s API for Python scripting to customize the application and write specialized tools; often these are included in Blender’s future releases. Blender is well suited to individuals and small studios who benefit from its unified pipeline and responsive development process. Examples from many Blender-based projects are available in the showcase.
Blender is cross-platform and runs equally well on Linux, Windows, and Macintosh computers. Its interface uses OpenGL to provide a consistent experience. To confirm specific compatibility, the list of supported platforms indicates those regularly tested by the development team.
Riot.im is an open source, free software instant messaging client based on the Matrix protocol. Besides Signal it is the recommended application for communication. It supports E2EE, file transfer, audio and video calls and syncs between devices.
Riot.im is well known for the ability to bridge other communications into the app via Matrix, such as IRC, Slack, Telegram and others.
Built around group chatrooms, Riot lets you share messages, images, videos and files - interact with your tools and access all your different communities under one roof. One single identity and place for all your teams: no need to switch accounts, work and chat with people from different organisations in public or private rooms. Features include:
- Instantly share messages, images, videos and files of any kind within groups of any size
- Voice and video 1-1 and conference calling via WebRTC
- End-to-end encryption using Olm
- See who's reading your messages with read receipts
- Communicate with users anywhere in the Matrix.org ecosystem - not just Riot users!
- Discover and invite users by email address
- Participate in guest-accessible public rooms
- Highly scalable - supports hundreds of rooms and thousands of users
- Fully synchronised message history across multiple devices and browsers
- Finely configurable notification settings, synchronised over all devices
- Infinite searchable chat history
- Permalinks to messages
- Full message search
- Excellent support for all Android device sizes and orientations
Open Source alternative to WhatsApp with a very similar interface. Offers both desktop and mobile apps.
With Delta Chat, you can write to every existing e-mail address - even if the recipient is not (yet) using the Delta Chat App. This is one of the biggest differences to other messengers: There is no need for the receiver to install the same app as yours.
With Delta Chat you get the ease of well-known messengers with the reach of e-mail. Moreover, you're independent from other companies or services -- as your data are not related to Delta Chat, you won't even add new dependencies here.
Some features at a glance:
- Secure with automatic end-to-end-encryption, supporting the new Autocrypt standard
- Fast by the use of Push-IMAP
- Largest userbase -- receivers not using Delta Chat can be reached as well
- Compatible -- not only to itself
- Elegant and simple user interface
- Distributed system
- No Spam -- only messages of known users are shown by default
- Reliable -- safe for professional use
- Trustworthy -- can even be used for business messages
- Fully OpenSource and Standards based
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
Simple, fast and powerful:
- Plays everything - Files, Discs, Webcams, Devices and Streams.
- Plays most codecs with no codec packs needed - MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, WebM, WMV, MP3...
- Runs on all platforms - Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix, iOS, Android ...
- Completely Free - no spyware, no ads and no user tracking.
Some VLC plugins that you may find interesting:
- VLSub: an extension to download subtitles directly from VLC.
- Pause Click plugin for VLC: a plugin that allows you to pause/play a video by clicking on the video image.
- SubSync: Subtitle's not displaying at the right time? Easy, just "catch" a subtitles line, and "release" it at the correct time. Synchronization is done!
- Arc Dark VLC skin
- Breeze VLC skin
Clementine is a modern music player and library organizer. It is inspired by Amarok 1.4, focusing on a fast and easy-to-use interface for searching and playing your music. The key features include:
- Search and play your local music library.
- Listen to internet radio from Spotify, Grooveshark, SomaFM, Magnatune, Jamendo, SKY.fm, Digitally Imported, JAZZRADIO.com, Soundcloud, Icecast and Subsonic servers.
- Search and play songs you've uploaded to Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive
- Create smart playlists and dynamic playlists.
- Tabbed playlists, import and export M3U, XSPF, PLS and ASX.
- Lyrics and artist biographies and photos.
- Transcode music into MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Speex, FLAC or AAC.
- Edit tags on MP3 and OGG files, organise your music.
- Fetch missing tags from MusicBrainz.
- Discover and download Podcasts.
- Download missing album cover art from Last.fm and Amazon.
- Desktop notifications
- Copy music to your iPod, iPhone, MTP or mass-storage USB player.
- Queue manager.
There is a companion app for Android based systems - Clementine Remote - which lets you control Clementine remotely from an Android device.
You could also try Strawberry Music Player, a fork of Clementine released in 2018 aimed at music collectors, audio enthusiasts and audiophiles.
A nice and lightweight (written in C++) alternative to Clementine is Sayonara Player. Currently available only for Linux and BSD.
nomacs is a free, open source image viewer, which supports multiple platforms. You can use it for viewing all common image formats including RAW and psd images.
nomacs features semi-transparent widgets that display additional information such as thumbnails, metadata or histogram. It is able to browse images in zip or MS Office files which can be extracted to a directory. Metadata stored with the image can be displayed and you can add notes to images.
nomacs includes image manipulation methods for adjusting brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, gamma, exposure. It has a pseudo color function which allows creating false color images. A unique feature of nomacs is the synchronization of multiple instances. With this feature you can easily compare images by zooming and/or panning at the exactly same position or even by overlaying them with different opacity.
It is an entertainment hub that brings all your digital media together into a beautiful and user friendly package. It is 100% free and open source, very customisable and runs on a wide variety of devices. It is supported by a dedicated team of volunteers and a huge community.
It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.
Here you can find instructions how to install some of the most popular addons.
gPodder is a simple, open source podcast client written in Python using GTK+. In development since 2005 with a proven, mature codebase.
Modern music player focused on streaming from free sources.
There's no need to use services that limit your freedom and seek to exploit you just to listen to your favourite artists. Nuclear empowers you to listen to what you want, where you want, and how you want, for free.
Stream from any free source on the internet. Nuclear supports Youtube and Soundcloud out of the box, with a plugin system allowing for easy addition of more.
Nuclear supports scrobbling to last.fm and updating the now playing status.
Leonflix is a modular search tool for content. It crawls video/file hosting websites and can find and return the videos hosted on those sites. You can find more than just movies. Find semester-length video lectures from MIT's OpenCourseWare, or the complete Khan Academy video lesson series on AP Physics 2, all using the Modules built by the amazing members of our community.
In today's world of streaming, every time a video changes hands, from the host to the site that shows it, more ads are added. By the time it gets to the viewer, the content has been "stepped on" so many times that it is nearly unwatchable. Leonflix's novelty is that it extracts only the desired content that streaming sites provide, filtering out all the pop-ups and adware that have been cut into the product.
Penguin Subtitle Player is an open-source, cross-platform standalone subtitle player, as an alternative to Greenfish Subtitle Player, SrtViewer (Mac), SRTPlayer, JustSubsPlayer and Free Subtitle Player.
You download the subtitle file (
.ass) from any sites you like and load it into the subtitle player. The subtitle player provides a translucent window which always stays on the top so that subtitles can be shown on top of the video without blocking anything.
With Penguin Subtitle Player, just open your favorite online streaming site, load the subtitle file into the player, and enjoy.
calibre is a powerful and easy to use e-book manager. Users say it's outstanding and a must-have. It'll allow you to do nearly everything and it takes things a step beyond normal e-book software. It's also completely free and open source and great for both casual users and computer experts.
One of the more interesting plugins for Calibre is the DRM Removal Tools.
See also kepubify.
Kindle Mate is a neat tool with rich features designed to sync, organize, import & export Kindle clippings (Kindle highlights and notes) and Kindle Vocabulary Builder words on computer.
This one is freeware and not open source but I could not find anything else like this. If you know about a similar open source project, let me know.
A simple, focused eBook reader.
Read the books you love without having to worry about different format complexities like epub, pdf, mobi, cbr, etc.
The best screen capture, file sharing and productivity tool. It has a lot of features that it probably can do everything you would expect from a screen sharing software.
A nice alternative: Captura.
The free open source and cross platform screen sharing software inspired by ShareX. Features:
- Area capture,
- Fullscreen capture,
- Active window capture,
- Magnifier, to make those aligments,
- Drawing on screenshots (blur, shapes, text, etc.),
- Highly customizable video codecs,
- Automatic upload/clipboard copying,
- Color picker, and last but not least,
- Custom upload destinations
Powerful yet simple to use screenshot software. Features:
- Customizable appearance.
- Easy to use.
- In-app screenshot edition.
- DBus interface.
- Upload to Imgur.
CDemu is a software suite designed to emulate an optical drive and disc (including CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs) on the Linux operating system.
WinCDEmu is an open-source CD/DVD/BD emulator - a tool that allows you to mount optical disc images by simply clicking on them in Windows Explorer. If you have downloaded an ISO image and want to use it without burning it to a blank disc, WinCDEmu is the easiest way to do it.
With Kid3 you can:
- Edit ID3v1.1 tags
- Edit all ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 frames
- Convert between ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 tags
- Edit tags in MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, DSF, FLAC, MPC, MP4/AAC, MP2, Opus, Speex, TrueAudio, WavPack, WMA, WAV, AIFF files and tracker modules (MOD, S3M, IT, XM)
- Edit tags of multiple files, e.g. the artist, album, year and genre of all files of an album typically have the same values and can be set together.
- Generate tags from filenames
- Generate tags from the contents of tag fields
- Generate filenames from tags
- Rename and create directories from tags
- Generate playlist files
- Automatically convert upper and lower case and replace strings
- Import from gnudb.org, TrackType.org, MusicBrainz, Discogs, Amazon and other sources of album data
- Export tags as CSV, HTML, playlists, Kover XML and in other formats
- Edit synchronized lyrics and event timing codes, import and export LRC files
A Minimal & integrated player, allowing you to focus on your productivity!Just open the Ubuntu sound indicator and choose your noise: Coffee Shop | Fire | Forest | Night | Rain | Sea | Storm | Wind.
Kdenlive is an acronym for KDE Non-Linear Video Editor. It is primarily aimed at the GNU/Linux platform but also works on BSD and MacOS. It is currently being ported to Windows as a GSOC project.
Non-linear video editing is much more powerful than beginners’ (linear) editors, hence it requires a bit more organization before starting. However, it is not reserved to specialists and can be used for small personal projects.
For a less complex and easier to get into alternative you can try Shotcut.
Natron is a powerful Digital Compositor that can handle of your 2D/2.5D needs. Its robust OIIO file formats and OpenFX architecture is what make Natron the most flexible open source compositor for the visual effects community. Its interface and functionally are the same across all platforms such as MacOS, Linux and Windows. Natron has a powerful keying, roto/rotopaint, 2D tracking tools that are staple for all current film production project that requires visual effects.
Some Feature Insights:
- 32 bits floating point linear color processing pipeline.
- Colorspace management handled by OpenColorIO.
- Dozens of file formats supported: EXR, DPX, TIFF, PSD, SVG, RAW, JPG, PNG … and more.
- Support for OpenFX v1.4
Support for many free and open-source OpenFX plugins:
- OpenFX-IO : to read anything else than standard 8-bits images (bundled with pre-compiled versions of Natron).
- OpenFX-Misc : A set of basic nodes, such as Transform, chroma keyer, etc… (bundled with the pre-compiled versions of Natron).
- OpenFX-Arena : A set of extra nodes (bundled with the pre-compiled versions of Natron).
- OpenFX-OpenCV : A set of plugins based on OpenCV.
- OpenFX-Yadif deinterlacer : An open-source efficient de-interlacer.
- OpenFX-Vegas SDK samples
- OpenFX samples (in the Support and Examples directories)
Support for commercial OpenFX plugins:
HandBrake is an open-source, multithreaded video transcoder- it converts digital media from one format to another, compressing the files in the process. Handbrake can rip encrypted DVDs with libdvdcss (libdvdcss is installed with VLC media player on Mac OS X, or AnyDVD/DVD 43 on Windows).
- Any Blu-ray or DVD-like source: VIDEO_TS folder, DVD image or real DVD, and some .VOB, .m2ts, and .TS files. Without VLC, Handbrake requires media to be unencrypted or already decrypted by third-party programs (i.e. DVD rippers).
- Almost any other multimedia file it can get libavformat to read and libavcodec to decode.
- File format: MP4 and MKV
- Video: MPEG-4, H.264, or Theora
- Audio: AAC, CoreAudio AAC (OS X Only), MP3, or Vorbis. AC-3 pass-through, DTS pass-through (MKV only)
- Support of chapter selections
- Support of subtitles
- Integrated bitrate calculator
- Picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
- Live Video Preview
fre:ac is a free audio converter and CD ripper with support for various popular formats and encoders. It currently converts between MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, WAV and Bonk formats.
With fre:ac you easily rip your audio CDs to MP3 or WMA files for use with your hardware player or convert files that do not play with other audio software. You can even convert whole music libraries retaining the folder and filename structure.
The integrated CD ripper supports the CDDB/freedb online CD database. It will automatically query song information and write it to ID3v2 or other title information tags.
- Converter for MP3, MP4/M4A, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, WAV and Bonk formats
- Integrated CD ripper with CDDB/freedb title database support
- Portable application, install on a USB stick and take it with you
- Multi-core optimized encoders to speed up conversions on modern PCs
- Full Unicode support for tags and file names
- Easy to learn and use, still offers expert options when you need them
- Multilingual user interface available in 40 languages
- Completely free and open source without a catch
Flacon extracts individual tracks from one big audio file containing the entire album of music and saves them as separate audio files.
To do this, it uses information from the appropriate CUE file. Besides, Flacon makes it possible to conveniently revise or specify tags both for all tracks at once or for each tag separately.
Features: - Supported input formats: WAV, FLAC, APE, WavPack, True Audio (TTA). - Supported out formats: FLAC, WAV, WavPack, AAC, OGG or MP3. - Replay Gain analysis (album-gain and track-gain modes). - Multi-threaded conversion process. - Automatic character set detection for CUE files. - Generation of the pertrack CUE file in the output dir.
Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming.
Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. The interface is translated into many languages. You can use Audacity to:
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using optional libraries.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Numerous effects including change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- Write your own plug-in effects with Nyquist.
- And more! See the complete list of features.
Ardour is a hard disk recorder and digital audio workstation application. It runs on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. Ardour's intention is to provide digital audio workstation software suitable for professional use.
Ardour source code is freely available but pre-built binaries are commercial free-libre software: users who download from ardour.org are asked to pay at least $1 for downloading pre-built binaries; those users then have the right to obtain minor updates until the next major release. Another option is to subscribe, paying $1, $4 or $10 per month. Subscribers can download prebuilt binaries of all updates during the subscription period.
darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer. A virtual lighttable and darkroom for photographers. It manages your digital negatives in a database, lets you view them through a zoomable lighttable and enables you to develop raw images and enhance them.
Converseen is a free cross-platform batch image processor for Windows and Linux that allows you to convert, resize, rotate and flip an infinite number of images with a mouse click.
Moreover, Converseen is able to transform an entire PDF file into a bunch of images with the characteristics you prefer: you can choose one of the 100+ formats, you can set the size, resolution and the filename.
Converseen, thanks to ImageMagick, the powerful image manipulation library on which the program leans it’s basis, can supports more than 100 image formats including DPX, EXR, GIF, JPEG, JPEG-2000, PhotoCD, PNG, Postscript, SVG, TIFF and many others.
Lutris is an open gaming platform for Linux. It helps you install and manage your games in a unified interface.
Its goal is to support every game which runs on Linux, from native to Windows games (via Wine) to emulators and browser games. The desktop application and the website are libre software, your contributions are welcome!
Unified library for all your games, written in Vala using GTK+3, designed for elementary OS.
GameHub supports non-native games as well as native games for Linux.
It supports multiple compatibility layers for non-native games:
- Wine / Proton
It also allows to add custom emulators.
GameHub supports multiple game sources and services:
- Humble Bundle
- Humble Trove
Locally installed games can also be added to GameHub.
GameHub makes storing and managing your DRM-free game collection easier.
Download installers, DLCs and bonus content and GameHub will save your downloads according to settings.
Athenaeum is a game laucher and manager designed as a libre replacement for Steam.
- Installing Games
- Running Games
- Uninstalling Games
- Updates (Only monolithic atm, individual to come)
This is a steam emulator that emulates steam online features on a LAN. It works on both Linux and Windows.
You replace the steam api .dll or .so with mine (for complete steps see the Release Readme) and then you can put steam in the trash and play your games either in single player on on LAN without steam (Assuming the games have no DRM and use Steam for online).
If you are a game developper and made the mistake of depending too much on the steam api and want to release of version of your game without it and don't want to rewrite your game, this is for you.
antimicro is a graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad. This program is useful for playing PC games using a gamepad that do not have any form of built-in gamepad support. However, you can use this program to control any desktop application with a gamepad; on Linux, this means that your system has to be running an X environment in order to run this program.
User-mode driver, mapper and GTK3 based GUI for Steam Controller, DS4 and similar controllers. Features:
- Allows to setup, configure and use Steam Controller(s) without ever launching Steam
- Supports profiles switchable in GUI or with controller button
- Stick, Pads and Gyroscope input
- Haptic Feedback and in-game Rumble support
- OSD, Menus, On-Screen Keyboard for desktop and in games.
- Automatic profile switching based on active window.
- Macros, button cycling, rapid fire, modeshift, mouse regions...
- Emulates Xbox360 controller, mouse, trackball and keyboard.
Piper is a GTK+ application to configure gaming mice. Piper is merely a graphical frontend to the ratbagd DBus daemon, see the libratbag README for instructions on how to run ratbagd.
If you are running piper from git, we recommend using libratbag from git as well to make sure the latest bugfixes are applied.
Trimming NVidia drivers out of a redundant crap.
The only browser that competes with the Chromium monoculture which more and more resembles the IE dominance in the late 90s. After the significant revamp with the release of Firefox Quantum it is extremely fast, secure and private.
In contrast with other browser that are offered by Google (Chrome), Microsoft (Edge) and Opera (some Chinese corporations) it is developed by the Mozilla foundation which promotes a free, private and secure web. Other browsers collect your data to sell them to third parties or to use to profile you.
Together with the extensive offer of extensions it is simply the best browser out there.
Browse Privately. Explore Freely. Defend yourself against tracking and surveillance. Circumvent censorship.
QuiteRSS is a open-source cross-platform RSS/Atom news feeds reader. It is very slim in its resource usage and still possesses a lot of features.
FeedReader is a modern desktop application designed to complement existing web-based RSS accounts. It combines all the advantages of web based services like synchronisation across all your devices with everything you expect from a modern desktop application.
Thunderbird is a free email application that's easy to set up and customize. The gold standard email client, considered to be the best currently available.
Supports extensions and PGP encryption.
Advanced user can add a tray functionality with Birdtray. Currently it has to be built from the source. It is also available in AUR.
Unofficial desktop app for ProtonMail and Tutanota end-to-end encrypted email providers.
- Cross platform, Linux/OSX/Windows.
- Multi email providers support.
- Multi accounts support per each email provider. Individual entry point domain selection is enabled.
- Automatic login into the app with remembered master password using keytar module ("Keep me signed in" feature).
- Automatic login into the email accounts, including filling 2FA tokens.
- Encrypted settings storage with switchable predefined key derivation and encryption presets. Argon2 is used as the default key derivation function.
- Native notifications for individual accounts clicking on which focuses the app window and selects respective account in the accounts list.
- System tray icon with a total number of unread messages shown on top of it. Enabling local messages store improves this feature (how to enable), see respective issue.
- Switchable view layouts (full, tabs and dropdown). See details here and screenshots in images folder.
- Batch emails export to EML files. Feature released with v2.0.0-beta.4 version, requires
local messages storefeature to be enabled (how to enable).
- Full-text search. Enabled with v2.2.0 release.
- Option to use a built-in/prepackaged web client instead of loading the online page. The built-in web clients are built from source code, see respective official Protonmail and Tutanota repositories. See original issue for details.
- Start minimized to tray.
- Close to tray.
HTTrack is a free (GPL, libre/free software) and easy-to-use offline browser utility.
It allows you to download a World Wide Web site from the Internet to a local directory, building recursively all directories, getting HTML, images, and other files from the server to your computer. HTTrack arranges the original site's relative link-structure. Simply open a page of the "mirrored" website in your browser, and you can browse the site from link to link, as if you were viewing it online. HTTrack can also update an existing mirrored site, and resume interrupted downloads. HTTrack is fully configurable, and has an integrated help system.
The qBittorrent project aims to provide an open-source software alternative to uTorrent.
Currently the best torrent application out there, mainly because of low system resource consumption and the magnificent search function which allows you to search through many public and private sites inside the app itself.
SMLoadr is a program for downloading music from streaming music services.
It is intended for educational and private use only, and not as a tool for pirating and distributing music!
Remember that the artists and studios put a lot of work into making music - purchase music to support them.
- Download music in excellent quality for free
- Supports single tracks, albums, artists, playlists and users favourite tracks
- Music quality selection (MP3 - 128 kbps, MP3 - 320 kbps, FLAC - 1411 kbps)
- Auto tagging MP3 & FLAC files (with album cover)
- Saves music to "DOWNLOADS/[artist]/[album]/[track_number] [title].mp3/flac"
- Download a list of links from "downloadLinks.txt"
- CLI support
FileZilla is a graphical FTP, FTPS and SFTP client. It is platform independent and supports all major desktop operating systems.
- Easy to use
- Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
- Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, OSX and more
- IPv6 support
- Available in many languages
- Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
- Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
- Drag and drop support
- Configurable Speed limits
- Filename filters
- Directory Comparison
- Network configuration wizard
- The ability to use Notepad or any other program to edit a file online
- HTTP/1.1, SOCKS5 and FTP Proxy support
- Logging to file
- Synchronized directory browsing
- Remote file search
A nice and easy to use alternative for Windows users is WinSCP.
Pure Maps is an application for Sailfish OS and Linux to display vector and raster maps, places, routes, and provide navigation instructions with a flexible selection of data and service providers.
Marble is a virtual globe and world atlas - your swiss army knife for maps.
- Watch videos without ads
- Make API calls through the Tor network
- Subscribe to channels without an account
- Local subscriptions, history, and saved videos
- Export & import subscriptions
- Open videos from your browser directly into FreeTube (with extension)
- Mini Player
- Light / dark theme
Read Hacker News from the desktop.
Currently the best download manager.
JDownloader is a free, open-source download management tool with a huge community of developers that makes downloading as easy and fast as it should be. Users can start, stop or pause downloads, set bandwith limitations, auto-extract archives and much more. It's an easy-to-extend framework that can save hours of your valuable time every day.
Offers downloading in multiple parallel streams, CAPTCHA recognition, and automatic file extraction, and Download Youtube Playlist with Quality and Filetype Options
Be sure to download with the link provided above, as this is the adware free installer.
Free/Libre Open Source Software Binaries of Microsoft's Visual Studio Code.
Microsoft's downloads of Visual Studio Code are licensed under this not-FLOSS license and contain telemetry/tracking.
This repo exists so that you don't have to download+build from source. The build scripts in this repo clone Microsoft's vscode repo, run the build commands, and upload the resulting binaries to GitHub releases. These binaries are licensed under the MIT license. Telemetry is enabled by a build flag which we do not pass.
VSCode itself is one of the best IDEs currently available, and I think it is the best open source IDE out there. Offering hundreds of extensions, you could transform it a tailor-made solution, fitting perfectly your personal needs.
It is made with the Electron framweork, which is known for being memory heavy, slow and unresponsive, but apparently Microsoft managed to make an electron app that does not suck and is fast and responsive.
Be sure to visit its extensions Marketplace.
Here you can find a recommended list of VSCode extensions.
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages.
Based on the powerful editing component Scintilla, Notepad++ is written in C++ and uses pure Win32 API and STL which ensures a higher execution speed and smaller program size.
Notepadqq is the best simple GUI text editor available for Linux. In an essence it strives to be a clone of Notepad++. Designed from developers, for developers. With its more than 100 supported languages, it is the ideal text editor for your daily tasks. Notepadqq gives you a hand with multiple selection, regular expression searches, and real-time highlighting.
The best alternative to Notepad++ which is available only for Windows.
Meld is a visual diff and merge tool targeted at developers. Meld helps you compare files, directories, and version controlled projects.
Meld helps you review code changes and understand patches. It might even help you to figure out what is going on in that merge you keep avoiding.
- Two- and three-way comparison of files and directories
- File comparisons update as you type
- Auto-merge mode and actions on change blocks help make merges easier
- Visualisations make it easier to compare your files
- Supports Git, Bazaar, Mercurial, Subversion, etc.
- and more
Zeal is an offline documentation browser for software developers.
A simple GUI regex tester.
RStudio is an integrated development environment (IDE) for R. It includes a console, syntax-highlighting editor that supports direct code execution, as well as tools for plotting, history, debugging and workspace management.
- Access RStudio locally
- Syntax highlighting, code completion, and smart indentation
- Execute R code directly from the source editor
- Quickly jump to function definitions
- Easily manage multiple working directories using projects
- Integrated R help and documentation
- Interactive debugger to diagnose and fix errors quickly
- Extensive package development tools
Alternatively you could also try RKWard.
There are plenty of awesome CLI applications out there. If you are a person who uses them, you probably know what's the best for you.
The ones below are only a handful of the most interesting tools, which are not mainstream (as much as a CLI app can be mainstream) and yet can be extremely useful - also for people who do not spend their time in terminal.
If you would like to explore the world of command line applications further, be sure to visit: Terminals are sexy.
Get things from one computer to another, safely.
This package provides a library and a command-line tool named wormhole, which makes it possible to get arbitrary-sized files and directories (or short pieces of text) from one computer to another. The two endpoints are identified by using identical "wormhole codes": in general, the sending machine generates and displays the code, which must then be typed into the receiving machine.
The codes are short and human-pronounceable, using a phonetically-distinct wordlist. The receiving side offers tab-completion on the codewords, so usually only a few characters must be typed. Wormhole codes are single-use and do not need to be memorized.
For complete documentation, please see the here.
Easily and securely share files and directories from the command line through a safe, private and encrypted link using a single simple command. Files are shared using the Firefox Send service and may be up to 2GB. Others are able to download these files with this tool, or through their web browser.
- Fully featured and friendly command line tool
- Upload and download files and directories securely
- Always encrypted on the client
- Additional password protection, generation and configurable download limits
- Supports old and new Firefox Send server versions
- File and directory archiving and extraction
- History tracking your files for easy management
- Ability to use custom Send hosts
- Inspect or delete shared files
- Accurate error reporting
- Streaming encryption and uploading/downloading, very low memory footprint
- Intended for use in scripts without interaction
- Upcoming: Firefox Account integration (higher download counts, longer expiry times)
Xonsh is a Python-powered, cross-platform, Unix-gazing shell language and command prompt. The language is a superset of Python 3.4+ with additional shell primitives that you are used to from Bash and IPython. It works on all major systems including Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows. Xonsh is meant for the daily use of experts and novices alike.
Magnificent app which corrects your previous console command.
Take back your privacy. Lose yourself in the haystack.
Your ISP is most likely tracking your browsing habits and selling them to marketing agencies (albeit anonymised). Or worse, making your browsing history available to law enforcement at the hint of a Subpoena. Needl will generate random Internet traffic in an attempt to conceal your legitimate traffic, essentially making your data the Needle in the haystack and thus harder to find. The goal is to make it harder for your ISP, government, etc to track your browsing history and habits.
- Google: generates a random search string, searches Google and clicks on a random result.
- Alexa: visits a website from the Alexa Top 1 Million list. (warning: contains a lot of porn websites)
- Twitter: generates a popular English name and visits their profile; performs random keyword searches
- DNS: produces random DNS queries from the Alexa Top 1 Million list.
- Spotify: random searches for Spotify artists
mat2 is a metadata removal tool, supporting a wide range of commonly used file formats, written in python3: at its core, it's a library, used by an eponymous command-line interface, and a nautilus extension.
Metadata consist of information that characterizes data. Metadata are used to provide documentation for data products. In essence, metadata answer who, what, when, where, why, and how about every facet of the data that are being documented.
Metadata within a file can tell a lot about you. Cameras record data about when a picture was taken and what camera was used. Office documents like PDF or Office automatically adds author and company information to documents and spreadsheets. Maybe you don't want to disclose those information on the web.
This is precisely the job of MAT2: getting rid, as much as possible, of metadata.
BeGoneAds is a script that puts some popular hosts file lists into the systems hosts file as a adblocker measure.
Annie is a fast, simple and clean video downloader built with Go. Much simpler and user friendly alternative to youtube-dl.
Cmder is a software package created out of pure frustration over the absence of nice console emulators on Windows. It is based on amazing software, and spiced up with the Monokai color scheme and a custom prompt layout, looking sexy from the start.
There are no comments yet.