The following post is the first one in a (hopefully) longer series of reviews and ...
Last updated Aug. 23, 2019, 2:42 p.m. by Author
The post below contains a curated and regularly updated list of recommended mobile apps.
All of the apps listed here are open source and free as in freedom. Links provided below will take you to the F-Droid repository, which is a 'store' for open source apps Android apps. Some of the apps listed here are normally paid, 'pro' applications as per Google Play, but because they are open source, the F-Droid maintainers have compiled them for you from source and you can use them for free.
If are looking for an alternative to one of the apps you are currently using, you should look at alternativeTo.
Another great resource to find the answer to the question: "What are the best applications that..." is Slant.
For a comprehensive list of privacy focused apps, loot at PRISM break Android section.
Because the list is periodically updated, if you want to stay up to date with the latest additions and deletions, you can use the Web Pages Scanner extension to be notified about any changes made here.
Table of contents:
A free and open-source operating system for various devices, based on the Android mobile platform.
If you want microG installed you can also try LineageOS for microG. MicroG requires a patch called "signature spoofing", which allows the microG's apps to spoof themselves as Google Apps. F-Droid is included in our ROM, so you can freely download all the FOSS apps on their repositories. It includes "F-Droid Privileged Extension", which allows F-Droid to install and update apps without the need of user interaction or the unsafe "Unknown sources" option.
For a more seamless transition from a pure Android, it is recommended to start with LineageOS for microG.
The installation instructions are available for each supported device.
You will need the TWRP app to flash a custom ROM to your smartphone.
An ad blocker that uses the hosts file. The hosts file contains a list of mappings between hostnames and IP addresses. When an app requests an ad, that request is directed to 127.0.0.1 which does nothing. There are options to run a web server to respond to blocked hostnames and to direct requests to the IP address of your choosing. You can download hosts files from the app but it is possible to use your own and to add certain sites to the white- and black-lists.
Requires root: Yes. The hosts files is located in /system which is normally read-only.
Ad blocker for people who for some reason do not want to root their phones. It establishes a VPN interface, and redirects DNS server traffic to it. The VPN interface filters the traffic, only allowing queries for hosts that are not blacklisted.
Because of this it is more battery intensive than AdAway and makes it impossible to use a real VPN to encrypt your traffic.
Firewall (iptables frontend), based on DroidWall which is no longer being developed. Features:
- Import/Export Rules to external storage
- Search Applications
- Multiple profiles with custom names
- Highlights system applications with custom color
- Notify on new installations
- VPN Support
- Device Admin support to protect against being uninstalled
Requires root: Yes. iptables must run as root.
Simply the VPN app for Adnroid. With the VPNService in Android 4.0+ it is possible to create a VPN that doesn't need root access.
WireGuard is a next generation secure network tunnel protocol. This application allows users to connect to WireGuard tunnels. More information may be found on the project webpage.
If your device has a custom kernel containing the WireGuard module, then the module will be used for superior battery life and performance. Otherwise a userspace version will work sufficiently on all other devices.
Multi-format KeePass password manager, the application allows to save and use passwords, keys and digital identities in a secure way by integrating the Android design standards.
- Create database files / entries and groups
- Support for .kdb and .kdbx files (version 1 to 4) with AES - Twofish - ChaCha20 - Argon2 algorithm
- Compatible with the majority of alternative programs (KeePass, KeePassX, KeePass XC...)
- Allows fast copy of fields and opening of URI / URL
- Fingerprint for fast unlocking
- Material design with themes
- AutoFill and Integration
- Field filling keyboard
- Precise management of settings
Aegis is a free, secure and open source 2FA app for Android.
- Free and open source
- Encryption (AES-256)
- Password (scrypt)
- Fingerprint (Android Keystore)
- Screen capture prevention
- Encryption (AES-256)
- Multiple ways to add new entries
- Scan QR code
- Enter details manually
- Supported algorithms:
- Compatible with Google Authenticator
- Custom or default icons
- Drag and drop
- Custom groups
- Advanced entry editing
- Material design
- Light and dark themes
- Export (plaintext or encrypted)
Checks apps for code signatures of known trackers (provided by Exodus). Also can list all classes for launchable (via the app drawer) packages.
Can be used against any APK:
- installed: via an app manager,
- downloaded: via any file manager (long press and open with ClassyShark3xodus),
- launchable installed: via the first screen list (long press to list all classes, including obfuscated ones).
Finally, the app doesn't sync or connect to the Internet and thus cannot sneak on end users.
The app is updated when Exodus updates their list of trackers: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/api/trackers
ClassyShark3xodus is based on Google's ClassyShark: https://github.com/google/android-classyshark
EDS allows you to store your files in an encrypted container.
- Supports VeraCrypt(R), TrueCrypt(R), LUKS, EncFs container formats.
- Choose among different secure ciphers.
- Encrypt/decrypt any kind of file.
- All the standard file operations supported.
- You can quickly open a folder (or file) inside a container from the Home screen using the shortcut widget.
A simple app to set your location to anywhere in the world, and improve general phone location privacy.
Apps on your phone can require location permissions to work, and make repeated and unnecessary location requests in the background throughout the day.
Setting your location somewhere else will help protect your privacy when using these apps.
This is one of the few location apps that doesn't rely on Google Maps.
Privacy Friendly Net Monitor monitors active network activity and provides information on the scanned connections and apps. The Connection's local and remote socket information is displayed along with a resolved hostname information and protocol evaluation based on well-known ports. Known un-/encrypted protocols are automatically marked. This app belongs to the Privacy Friendly Apps group developed by the SECUSO research group Universitat Darmstadt, Germany.
This is a fork of Syncthing that brings major enhancements like:
- Individual sync conditions can be applied per device and per folder
- Recent changes UI, click to open files.
- "Battery eater" problem is fixed.
- Android 8 and 9 support.
Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet. Syncthing-Fork for Android is a wrapper for Syncthing that provides an Android UI instead of Syncthing's built-in Web UI. Goals of the fork:
- Develop and try out enhancements together with the community.
- Release the wrapper more frequently to identify and fix bugs caused by changes in the syncthing submodule
- Make enhancements configurable in the UI, users should be able to turn them on and off
Comparison between upstream and fork at the time of writing this:
- Both contain the syncthing binary built from the official source at GitHub:syncthing/syncthing
- Syncing functionality and reliability depends on the syncthing binary submodule version.
- Fork gets along with upstream and sometimes they pick up my improvements.
- Strategy and release frequency is different
- Only the wrapper containing the Android UI is addressed by the fork.
A safe home for all your data. Access & share your files, calendars, contacts, mail & more from any device, on your terms. This is the official Android app.
- Easy, modern interface
- Upload your files to your Nextcloud server
- Share your files with others
- Keep your favorite files and folders synced
- Instant Upload for photos and videos taken by your device
- Multi-account support
DAVx⁵ (formerly DAVdroid) is a CalDAV/CardDAV management and synchronization app for Android which natively integrates with Android calendar/contact apps.
Use it with your own server or with a trusted hoster to keep your contacts, events and tasks under your control.
For more information and a list of tested servers/services, have a look at the Web site.
AnExplorer File Manager is a Simple, Small, Fast and Efficient File Explorer. It supports RTL and shows the size of folders across the storages. File Manager is designed for all android devices including Phones, Phablets, Tablets and Android TV. It's fully designed with Material guidelines by Google. It supports all Android versions from Jellybean, Kitkat, Marshmallow to Nougat. It does not take any unnecessary permissions.
The best file manager I have found.
Alternative on-screen keyboard for multiple languages.
- Multi-language keyboard support via external packages (English as standard)
- Completion dictionaries for multiple languages
- Multitouch support
- Extension keyboard (swipe your finger all the way up out of the keyboard)
- Gesture support: swipe left or right to switch layouts; swipe up to shift; swipe down to close the keyboard
- Theme support (comes with several skins)
- Emoji keyboard plus emoji tag search - type ":emoji_name"
- Built-in user dictionary words editor
- Optional 16-key English keyboard
- Cursor movement soft-keys that can also be mapped to hardware keys
- Supports ARM, x86 and MIPS natively
- Ability to override the system locale value
Plenty of additional language packs are available.
Try to extend battery life by changing always-on mobile/wifi data to periodic sync (meaning it disables your mobile data and/or Wifi, then checks your accounts every X minutes).
Requires Root on Android 5.0+
A simple calendar with optional CalDAV synchronization. You can easily create recurring events and setup reminders, it can also display week numbers.
Contains a monthly view and an event list widget where you can customize the color of the text, as well as the alpha and the color of the background.
A simple task manager app, allowing you to categorise your todo list by urgency, state, timeframe etc.
Tasks can be synchronised with a CalDAV server using DAVdroid.
Integrate Android with the KDE Plasma Desktop.
- Share files and URLs to KDE from any app, without wires.
- Touchpad emulation: Use your phone screen as your computer's touchpad .
- Notifications sync (4.3+): Read your Android notifications from the desktop.
- Shared clipboard: copy and paste between your phone and your computer.
- Multimedia remote control: Use your phone as a remote for Linux media players.
- WiFi connection: no usb wire or bluetooth needed.
- RSA Encryption: your information is safe.
Please note you will need to install KDE Connect on your computer for this app to work.
Make backups of selected apps on your device and restore from those backups. oandbackup enables you to save app data to a user-accessible location. Both backup / restore of single apps and of multiple apps are supported.
Requires a working busybox installation at the moment (often pre-installed on custom roms).
Requires root: Yes.
Tired of the abundance of phone cleaners on the play store? Tired of them being extremely shady? Tired of them doing nothing? Tired of ads? Tired of having to pay? Me too.
Android API 23+ (Marshmallow) no longer allows apps to clean other app's caches, thus the claim of cleaners clearing them is completely false.
The only thing they can clean: log files, temporary files, and empty folders. All three LTE Cleaner wipes.
Optimize your WiFi network by examining surrounding WiFi networks, measuring their signal strength as well as identifying crowded channels.
- Identify nearby Access Points
- Graph channels signal strength
- Graph Access Point signal strength over time
- Analyze WiFi networks to rate channels
- HT/VHT Detection - 40/80/160MHz (Requires Android OS 6+)
- Access Point view complete or compact
- Estimated Distance to the Access Points
- Export access points details
- Dark or Light theme available
- Pause/Resume scanning
- Available filters: WiFi band, Signal strength, Security and SSID
- Vendor/OUI Database Lookup
Hide the annoying "running in the background" notification with this simple and small app
CPU Info provide main information about hardware and software of your device:
- CPU specification (with current frequency on specyfic cores)
- GPU specification
- RAM and storage state (internal, external and SD card)
- Display metrics
- Android OS details
- Sensors data
- Battery status
- WiFi and Bluetooth mac address (on older Androids)
- Audio card info
- Native libraries used in another applications
- CPU and battery temperature monitor
Riot.im is an open source, free software instant messaging client based on the Matrix protocol. Besides Signal it is the recommended application for communication. It supports E2EE, file transfer, audio and video calls and syncs between devices.
Riot.im is well known for the ability to bridge other communications into the app via Matrix, such as IRC, Slack, Telegram and others.
Riot gathers all your conversations and app integrations into one single app.
Built around group chatrooms, Riot lets you share messages, images, videos and files - interact with your tools and access all your different communities under one roof. One single identity and place for all your teams: no need to switch accounts, work and chat with people from different organisations in public or private rooms. Features include:
- Instantly share messages, images, videos and files of any kind within groups of any size
- Voice and video 1-1 and conference calling via WebRTC
- End-to-end encryption using Olm
- See who's reading your messages with read receipts
- Communicate with users anywhere in the Matrix.org ecosystem - not just Riot users!
- Discover and invite users by email address
- Participate in guest-accessible public rooms
- Highly scalable - supports hundreds of rooms and thousands of users
- Fully synchronised message history across multiple devices and browsers
- Finely configurable notification settings, synchronised over all devices
- Infinite searchable chat history
- Permalinks to messages
- Full message search
- Excellent support for all Android device sizes and orientations
There is also an alternative app called SimpleMatrix which has a different user interface.
Open Source alternative to WhatsApp with a very similar interface. Offers both desktop and mobile apps.
Note: Signal is not available on F-Droid because of the author's policy that does not allow federation and third-party distribution of the app. You have to download the APK file from the official Signal's website.
Briar is a messaging app designed for activists, journalists, and anyone else who needs a safe, easy and robust way to communicate. Unlike traditional messaging tools such as email, Twitter or Telegram, Briar doesn't rely on a central server - messages are synchronized directly between the users' devices. If the Internet's down, Briar can sync via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, keeping the information flowing in a crisis. If the Internet's up, Briar can sync via the Tor network, protecting users and their relationships from surveillance.
Great app with two significant drawbacks:
- it does not offer file transfer
- it does not have a desktop app
And one minor drawback:
- it does not allow voice and video connections, only text messages
If those problems above are resolved (and there are plans to do do it), it may be the most secure and private 'chat app' out there.
With Delta Chat, you can write to every existing e-mail address - even if the recipient is not (yet) using the Delta Chat App. This is one of the biggest differences to other messengers: There is no need for the receiver to install the same app as yours.
With Delta Chat you get the ease of well-known messengers with the reach of e-mail. Moreover, you're independent from other companies or services -- as your data are not related to Delta Chat, you won't even add new dependencies here.
Some features at a glance:
- Secure with automatic end-to-end-encryption, supporting the new Autocrypt standard
- Fast by the use of Push-IMAP
- Largest userbase -- receivers not using Delta Chat can be reached as well
- Compatible -- not only to itself
- Elegant and simple user interface
- Distributed system
- No Spam -- only messages of known users are shown by default
- Reliable -- safe for professional use
- Trustworthy -- can even be used for business messages
- Fully OpenSource and Standards based
Send and receive files over available connections.
- Pause or resume transfers even when an error is given
- Share your videos and songs within the application
- There is no limit. You can send thousands of files with only one connection
- You have the updates installed on your phone but your friend doesn't? Send them with the app
- Install it on your all android devices and get the things easier
Easiest and fastest way to share text, images or any files from your phone to your computer or phones.
- Share to your computer, use browser to download the files shared (require no installation on computer)
- Share to other phones, choose "scan QR code"
- Through wifi no internet access required
- No ads, free
- Open source check the full source code at https://github.com/jimmod/ShareToComputer
VLC for Android is a full port of VLC media player to the Android platform. It can play any video and audio files, network streams and DVD ISOs, like the classic version of VLC.
- Plays all files, in all formats, like the classic VLC.
- Audio and video media library, with full search and history.
- Support for network streams, including HLS and Dash.
- Support for NAS and shared drives browsing.
- Subtitles support, embedded and external, including ASS and DVD subtitles.
- Multi audio or subtitles tracks selection.
- Multi-core and full hardware decoding.
- Gestures, headphones control.
- Audio equalizer and filters.
- Supports secondary display.
- Supports 360 video and 3D audio.
Music player easy to use and customizable (multiple themes including a dark one). It supports folder browsing, sleep timer and a tag editor. It is forked from Phonograph.
- Material Design. The user interface matches every single detail of the material design guidelines to ensure Phonograph is an eye candy for you.
- Easy to Use. No complicated or overblown menus but a familiar and clean interface.
- Last.fm Integration. Phonograph automatically downloads additional information about your artists such as their images or biographies. When you install the official Last.fm app, scrobbling will work right out of the box too.
- Dynamic Colors. The UI colors change dynamically to match the main contents base color.
- Customizability. There is an inbuilt theme engine with many different colors to choose from.
- Tag Editor. The tag editor allows you to easily edit the tags of your music files such as title, artist, album name (...) for single songs or whole albums. You can even either let Phonograph automatically download missing album covers for you (powered by Last.fm) or choose one from your internal storage.
Other worth mentioning music player is Bop Music Player which needs some bugs to be fixed before it can be recommended.
Control the music player "Clementine" - access your playlists, browse the library, download files, change the volume via hardware buttons, read the lyrics while listening to your favourite song, enjoy the cover art and more.
If you receive a call or want to make one, you don't have pause the current track, Clementine Remote can lower the volume for you. It also has many more features, for example exchange of music and playlists with a computer.
Clementine is the recommended desktop music player.
It is an entertainment hub that brings all your digital media together into a beautiful and user friendly package. It is 100% free and open source, very customisable and runs on a wide variety of devices. It is supported by a dedicated team of volunteers and a huge community.
It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.
Be sure to visit Addons4Kodi to find myriad of useful addons.
Here you can find instructions how to install some of the most popular addons.
Kore aims to be a simple, easy to use and beautiful remote that lets you control your Kodi media center from your Android device.
- With Kore you can:
- Control your media center with an easy to use remote;
- Including several colour themes;
- See what's currently playing, including relevant information (movies, TV shows, music, pictures and addons);
- Change, sync or download subtitles;
- Switch to the desired audio streams;
- All the usual playback and volume controls at your disposal;
- Toggle back and forth between windows or full screen playback in Kodi
- Add, check and manage the current playlist;
- View what is in your media library with details about your movies, TV shows, music and add-ons;
- Direct link to relevant IMDb website for extensive information;
- Library maintenance like clean and update;
- Wake-on-LAN and other power control actions that the selected device supports;
- Send YouTube videos to your currently selected media center;
- Send text to the instead of using the keyboard in Kodi;
- Switch to live TV channels and trigger recording on your PVR/DVR setup;
Podcast manager and player that gives you instant access to millions of free and paid podcasts, from independent podcasters to large publishing houses such as the BBC, NPR and CNN. Add, import and export their feeds hassle-free using the iTunes podcast database, gPodder, OPML files or simple RSS URLs. Save effort, battery power and mobile data usage with powerful automation controls for downloading episodes (specify times, intervals and WiFi networks) and deleting episodes (based your favourites and delay settings). But most importantly: Download, stream or queue episodes and enjoy them the way you like with adjustable playback speeds, chapter support and a sleep timer.
Made by podcast-enthousiasts, AntennaPod is kept free of ads and frequently
updated based on your input.
Wifi Remote Play is a remote control app for the video players Media Player Classic (MPC) and VideoLan Client (VLC), allowing you to control it over a Wi-Fi network.
- Remote control for: Play, pause, skip forwards/backwards through a track, jump to any point in the track, and jump to previous/next track.
- Status shows current track, position, and length.
- Volume control, and mute.
- File browser to select new tracks, playlists video files (Media Player Classic only).
- Toggle between windowed and full screen mode.
- Controls for DVD interface (Media Player Classic only).
For this to work, you need to enable the web interface (for either VLC or Media Player Classic). VLC also now requires a password to be set. For your "IP Address", run "Command Prompt" on the PC where VLC or Media Player Classic is playing, and type ipconfig. It should be listed under "IPv4 Address". If you are having trouble setting up, please check out the webpage/Online Help for advice.
A highly customizable gallery capable of displaying many different image and video types including SVGs, RAWs, panoramic photos and videos.
Let's list some of its features worth mentioning:
3. Notch support
4. Pinning folders to the top
5. Filtering media files by type
6. Recycle bin for easy file recovery
7. Fullscreen view orientation locking
8. Marking favorite files for easy access
9. Quick fullscreen media closing with down gesture
10. An editor for modifying images and applying filters
11. Password protection for protecting hidden items or the whole app
12. Changing the thumbnail column count with gestures or menu buttons
13. Customizable bottom actions at the fullscreen view for quick access
14. Showing extended details over fullscreen media with desired file properties
15. Several different ways of sorting or grouping items, both ascending and descending
16. Hiding folders (affects other apps too), excluding folders (affects only Simple Gallery)
A feature rich camera application, including:
- auto-stabilise option
- multitouch zoom
- choice of focus modes
- face detection
- front/back camera support
- change recording resolution
- video/audio recording
- burst mode
- silenceable shutter
- configurable gui
- external microphone support
A lightweight client for Unsplash with following features:
- 100000+ photos
- material design
- select photos as tags
- share photos and set as wallpaper
- download raw photos.
Read the information stored in barcodes or create QR-codes for sharing addresses, contacts or text between devices.
Supports following barcode types:
- UPC-A and UPC-E
- EAN-8 and EAN-13
- Code 39; 93; 128
- RSS-14 (all variants)
- QR Code
- Data Matrix
- Aztec ('beta' quality)
- PDF 417 ('alpha' quality)
See the website for troubleshooting and explanations of the permissions. The app allows you to share contacts, apps, and bookmarks in a QR Code. This is why contacts permissions are needed. You can also look at the app's FAQ.
Librera Reader is an easy to use and highly configurable reading app that supports PDF, EPUB, MOBI, DjVu, FB2, TXT, RTF, AZW, AZW3, HTML, CBZ and CBR formats. With its simple, yet powerful interface, Librera makes document reading a true pleasure. Librera even features a unique auto-scrolling, hand-free music mode.
Displays Passbook (*.pkpass) files & shows the Barcode (QR, PDF417 and AZTEC format). It can be used also when offline.
This app is a viewer for passes - a pass could be a e.g. boarding-pass for your next flight, a coupon for a nice hot beverage on the destination, a movie ticket, a membership card - there are a lot of possibilities. Basically it is a replacement for a piece of paper or plastic you would normally have to carry with you.
There are so called espass or pkpass files - you can open them with this app - e.g. when you receive them via email or get an Download-option. The most important content is the BarCode ( QR , AZTEC & PDF417which authorizes you most of the time - but it also has other interesting content like a description - often a time (that you now can add to your calendar) - often also locations (to give you directions)
Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are in Markdown format.
Notes exported from Evernote via .enex files can be imported into Joplin, including the formatted content (which is converted to Markdown), resources (images, attachments, etc.) and complete metadata (geolocation, updated time, created time, etc.).
The notes can be synchronised with various targets including the file system (for example with a network directory) or with Microsoft OneDrive. When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around.
To install it, you need to add the IzzyOnDroid Repository in the F-Droid settings.
As an alternative you could take a look at Markor.
Orgzly stores notebooks in plain-text and keeps them where you choose to.
- Create, edit and delete notes and tasks
- Collapse and expand sub-notes
- Schedule tasks and set their deadlines
- Set priorities and tags for notes
- Fling notes left or right to open quick-menus
- Search notes by various properties
- Create and save searches for quick access
- Synchronize notebooks with one or more directories
Notebooks are saved in Org mode's file format. "Org mode is for keeping notes, maintaining TODO lists, planning projects, and authoring documents with a fast and effective plain-text system." See http://orgmode.org for more information.
LibreOffice Viewer uses the same engine as LibreOffice for Windows, Mac, and Linux. This, combined with a new front-end based on Firefox for Android, reads documents similarly to LibreOffice desktop.
- Open Document Format (odt, ods and odp)
- Microsoft Office 2007/2010/2013 (docx, xlsx and pptx)
- Microsoft Office 97/2000/XP/2003 (doc, xls and ppt)
MuPDF supports PDF 1.7 with transparency, encryption, hyperlinks, annotations, searching, form editing and more. It also reads OpenXPS and CBZ (comic book) documents.
Pen&PDF is a PDF viewer and annotation app for Android built on top of MuPDF. It intents to makes editing PDFs as easy as writing on a piece of paper.
To install it, you need to add the IzzyOnDroid Repository in the F-Droid settings.
A set of tools to help with writing poems:
- a rhyming dictionary, using the Carnegie Mellon University pronunciation dictionary.
- a thesaurus, using the WordNet thesaurus.
- a dictionary, using the WordNet dictionary.
- a screen where you can enter your poem text, and have it read aloud back to you by the device's text-to-speech engine.
Privacy Friendly Ruler turns the device screen into a ruler for quick measurements on the go. It can display rulers with either inch or centimeters as metric. Furthermore, it can display a protractor.
Firefox ScreenshotGo is a useful application for Android. Users who take screenshots regularly and those who take them for safekeeping purposes will find the application more useful than users who take temporary screenshots for the most part.
The option to sort screenshots into collections is handy as it provides better manageability. The Go button improves screenshot taking but is mostly useful for users who take a lot of screenshots.
Currently available only from the GitHub repo.
SpeedCrunch is a high-precision scientific calculator supporting expression editing, history stack, unit conversions, radix systems, complex numbers and user defined variables.
- Calculations with up to 50 digits of precision
- History stack with value or expression recall
- Expression editing with system virtual keyboard
- Fixed decimal, scientific or engineering formats
- Decimal, binary, octal and hexadecimal bases
- Built-in functions, constants and units with search
- User defined variables and functions
Usage instructions can be found at the project's Github presence.
To install it, you need to add the IzzyOnDroid Repository in the F-Droid settings.
NCalc+ is a calculator for Algebra, Analytics, Trigonometrics, Determination of Statistics, and more. It does not show the steps to solve the equations, system of equations, derivative… but only for the final result.
To install it, you need to add the IzzyOnDroid Repository in the F-Droid settings.
A simple and easy-to-use unit converter to handle any conversion you'll ever need.
The beautiful Material Design user interface allows for quick and easy conversions from a number in one unit to another. The goal is to keep it simple - you won't be overwhelmed with an excess of options and settings, allowing you to perform your desired conversion as quickly as possible. Perfect for work, school or in the kitchen.
With Open Note Scanner you can capture documents, handwritten notes, arts, shopping receipts, etcetera. It will automatically adjust the image aspect, contrast and save it. It will allow browsing, view and share the scanned documents.
It also supports the automatic scan of preformatted pages with QR Code and action indicators. PDF file with the pages are available on the application website, in the releases section.
In order to work, Open Note Scanner needs to have access to the OpenCV Manager application installed. If it could not find it, it will offer to download it from GitHub or Play Store. It is also possible to manualy install it from the OpenCV SDK for Android, available on http://opencv.org
Fennec F-Droid is based on the latest Firefox release. It's focused on removing any proprietary bits found in official Mozilla's builds.
This is the only mobile browser that supports extensions, so you can have a look here for a broad selection of recommended Firefox addons.
Browse Privately.Explore Freely.Defend yourself against tracking and surveillance. Circumvent censorship.
You can also add the Guardian Project repo to F-Droid to have your browser updated automatically.
E-mail client supporting multiple accounts, POP3, IMAP and Push IMAP. Can do OpenPGP encryption if OpenKeychain is installed. Settings and account configurations can be exported so that they can be imported easily if you are switching packages/signatures: a file manager will need to be already installed to achieve this.
Alternatively you can also use SimpleEmail.
Flym News Reader is a simple, modern, totally free (no ads) and opensource project which keeps you inform by fetching your websites/blogs and displaying them in a mobile-optimized way.
It DOES NOT synchronize with any online feed reader, if you need synchronization this app is not for you.
- easily search for new feeds
- offline reading including images
- import/export the feed list from OPML
- retrieve the full text of the feed when the content is truncated
- star your favorite entries
- search into your articles
Alternatively you can also use Feeder.
Quickly search through a wealth of scientific papers offered by arXiv. Those you choose to download are kept at easy reach to consult and see.
A fast and beautiful way to view your favorite xkcd comics.
- Offline Mode
- Long press to view alt text
- Search for title, transcript or number
- Share comic url or image
- Add comic to favorites
- Favorites are saved for offline use
- Open links from xkcd.com and m.xkcd.com
- Support for large images (e.g comic 657)
- Explain xkcd integration
- Option to display alt text by default
Comic strip reader:
- Select image quality
- Make favorite strips
- Caching, so you won't download single strip twice
- All comics strips since 16.4.1989
- Supports both large and small screens
- Supports all device orientations
An unofficial client for the news site reddit.com:
- Swipe posts left and right to perform customizable actions, such as upvote/downvote, or save/hide.
- Advanced cache management - automatically stores past versions of posts and comments.
- Streaming - shows posts/comments as they download - good for slow connections.
- Support for multiple accounts.
- Two-column tablet mode (can be used on your phone, if it's big enough)
- Image precaching (optional: always, never, or Wi-Fi only).
- Built in image viewer, and GIF player.
- Compression - both during downloads, and in cache storage.
- Night mode (i.e. a dark theme)
- Holo theme on every device
See also: Slide
Hacker News client, designed for both phones & tablets, with optimized speed & network.
- Browse top stories, best, newest, show HN, ask HN, jobs & user profiles
- Submit story, comment & vote, multiple HN accounts supported
- Catch up with best stories from past day, week, month or year
- Search, share stories, save for offline reading
Flexible reading options:
- Multiple themes, adjustable font & text size
- Colour-coded, collapsible comments thread
- Readability mode/external browser options
All-in-one app for public transit:
- trip planner (door to door),
- live departure times (including delays),
- nearby stations (also on a map) and
- interactive network plans.
Offi makes use of official time table and connection data of the selected public transit authority! This ensures that disruptions become visible as soon as the transit authority has included them with the data.
MusicPiped is a full-featured music player that streams from YouTube instead of playing local files.
You can stream any music available on YouTube for free.
At core this app uses NewPipeExtractor to get streams from YouTube hence can play almost any YouTube stream.
Features an inbuilt search over YouTube, an adjustable playing queue, custom playlists and more. No song is stored on your device, they're directly streamed from Google servers, hence saving disk space.
It does not stream video and only fetches audio files, thus eliminating heavy data usage of videos.
It's a fully featured music player so you can enjoy background playback with notification controls, and you don't need to keep screen on and focused to listen to your music.
It does not track you, there is no tracking system at all, you don't even need Google APIs to use the app.
Lightweight YouTube frontend that's supposed to be used without the proprietary YouTube-API or any of Google's (proprietary) play-services. NewPipe only parses the YouTube website in order to gain the information it needs.
- Search videos
- Display general information about a video
- Watch YouTube videos
- Listen to YouTube videos
- Popup mode (floating player)
- Select the streaming player to watch the video with
- Download videos
- Download audio only
- Open a video in Kodi
- Show Next/Related videos
- Search YouTube in a specific language
- Watch/Block age restricted material
- Display general information about channels
- Search channels
- Watch videos from a channel
- Orbot/Tor support (not yet directly)
- 1080p/2k/4k support
- View history
- Subscribe to channels
- Search history
- Search/Watch Playlists
- Watch as queues Playlists
- Queuing videos
- Local playlists
- Multi-service support (eg. SoundCloud)
Music Downloader is a material design mp3/mp4 files downloader using official YouTube APIs.
This app is a simple single-activity project, using a fragment for the bottom sheet dialog, a recyclerview to display the list of the results parsed from YouTube, a material dialog for the Checklist section. An EditText view is available for the user to type text, and a request is performed to YouTube servers (This app uses API v3) to retrieve the matching results. Another service is user to download the related MP3/MP4 file. Since the input is directly passed to Google YouTube APIs, you can also use search operators to filter the results.
To install it, you need to add the IzzyOnDroid Repository in the F-Droid settings.
The official Wikipedia Android app is designed to help you find, discover, and explore knowledge on Wikipedia. Settle a bet with a friend by doing a quick search through the app, or dive into featured articles, images, recommended articles, and more using the explore feed. With more than 39 million articles in nearly 300 languages, your favorite free online encyclopedia is now at your fingertips.
Kiwix lets you read Wikipedia and other websites without an Internet connection. It uses the highly compressed http://www.openzim.org ZIM format to store webpages for quick and easy reading.
The app is a lightweight piece of software reading bigger files stored on your device or SD card: once it is installed, you can select which additional content you would like to download (Wikipedia, Wiktionary, TED talks, etc.) and be ready for when your internet connexion is bad (or need to be in airplane mode)!
Note: Kiwix is also available on regular computers (Windows, Mac, Linux).
Wikivoyage is a free travel guide that allows you to browse all the information you need about every destination in Europe without an internet connection: no roaming fees when you are traveling abroad!
Wherever you go, get tips about:
- How to get from the airport to the city
- What are the must-see
- What to eat/drink, including a selection of restaurants and bars
- Where to sleep, depending on your budget
- Local customs, how to stay safe, everything you need to know
- Basic phrasebook
Complete with region/city maps and pictures.
WebMediaShare is an app to browse your favourite media websites (e.g. online streaming sites, online radio stations, etc.) so that you can:
- view the content without ads/popups/redirects/etc.
- share music from a streaming site to a media player app like VLC, so that it continues playing even if the screen is off
- send the media to your TV or Hifi (e.g. via the Kore app for Kodi. This works like Chromecast, but without the need for the Chromecast device, a Google account, Google Play Services, or special support for the site.
- share the media URL to friends on chats or email
- share the media to an app for downloading
Note: First of all, you should not use Facebook! This is inly for people who for some reason need FB.
Frost is a fully functional web wrapper, with many unique and native features such as:
• True multi user interactions - More than just an option in a settings menu, Frost's account switcher is right in the drawer. You are one tap away from switching accounts, and everything refreshes on the switch so that you can view other accounts instantaneously. Furthermore, the notification service will fetch notifications from all accounts, and will let you know which account has the new notification.
• Better multitasking - Frost contains an overlaying web browser that can be drawn on top of your foreground task. Open links and notifications with a full screen view, then swipe away to get back to your previous task.
• Contextual awareness - Frost integrates additional features via long presses. Need to copy a block of text or share a link? Long press the text. Need to zoom into an image or download it? Long press the image!
• Material Design - Built for lollipop and up, Frost focuses strongly on a beautiful and functional UI, and embraces material transitions and dimensions.
• Complete theme engine - Frost contains very comprehensive themes that customize all components of the app. Frost is also the only app to support transparent themes.
• Fully opened - Nothing speaks for privacy more than being open sourced. Frost is proud to be one of those apps, and can be found on github (Link in the app's about section)
• Fixes the little things - Frost is community driven, and many tweaks are added to address minor inconveniences and give a full native experience, despite being a web app. To list a few:
• Focusing on a text input will prevent refreshing, so you don't accidentally swipe and lose your progress.
• Horizontal swipe can be enabled along side the viewpager swipe with a simple long press
• Automatic bug reports are sent when a crash is detected, so even if you don't contact the devs, you are helping contribute by using the app.
Mandatory permissions used and why:
• Internet, Network State, Wifi State - Frost fetches the pages from Facebook's mobile website. It also needs the network state so as to limit internet usage when you are on a metered network.
• Receive Boot Completed - Frost notifications persist on reboot, and need this permission to be added each time.
• Vibrate - Needed to vibrate phone for notifications; this can be toggled in the settings
• Billing - For purchasing pro and unlocking all of Frost's features
Optional permissions used and why:
(these are only requested when they have to be, and are disabled until then)
• Read/write external storage - Needed to upload photos in a new status and save photos when prompted
• Fine/coarse location - Needed for the check in option if users wish to search for their location
• That's it! No privacy intrusion and no extra demands.
Permissions NOT used and why:
• Wakelock - Frost takes advantage of Android's Job Scheduler, and lets the framework decide when to run background services. Frost therefore doesn't need to constantly run in the background, nor does it force your phone to stay awake.
• Retrieve running apps - Frost has no need to access external apps or see what else is running
• Identity - Frost manages its accounts internally and uses it solely to give you access to your account. We don't depend on other personal information and we don't even save your email.
• Camera - While the camera permission can be added to allow you to directly take photos and upload them, we've decided that it would be best to allow you to do so externally and then share the photo with Frost
Simple application which displays the air temperature and other weather conditions in the notification bar. The air temperature is always visible like a system clock.
Widget that shows your stock portolio in a resizable grid. You can sort the list by drag-and-drop and the list can be exported and re-imported.
- Completely resizable, it will fit the number columns base on the width you set.
- Scrollable, so you don't have to worry about adding more widgets
- Stocks are sorted by change in percent (descending), or you can rearrange them yourself
- You can set custom refresh intervals and start/end times
- You can import and export your portfolio from a textfile
- Add multiple portfolios to multiple widgets
- View recent news for your tracked symbols
- View graphs for your tracked symbols
OpenStreetMap offline maps with track recording and custom bookmarks .kml path. Based on MAPS.ME project. Features include:
- Track Recording (record your tracks)
- Custom Bookmarks path (helps backup your bookmarks with apps like: Syncthing)
- Removed ads and binaries (peace and freedom)
- Screenlock option (prevent app stay turned on while in pocket with lockscreen enabled)
See also SeaMapDroid.
OsmAnd+ (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap (OSM) data.
Enjoy voice and optical navigation, viewing POIs (points of interest), creating and managing GPX tracks, using contour lines visualization and altitude info, a choice between driving, cycling, pedestrian modes, OSM editing and much more.
Some of the main features:
- Works online (fast) or offline (no roaming charges when you are abroad)
- Turn-by-turn voice guidance (recorded and synthesized voices)
- Optional lane guidance, street name display, and estimated time of arrival
- Supports intermediate points on your itinerary
- Automatic re-routing whenever you deviate from the route
- Search for places by address, by type (e.g.: restaurant, hotel, gas station, museum), or by geographical coordinates
There is also a contour lines plugin.
Travel Mate is a must-have app for those interested in travel. The app provides users with various features from choosing the correct destination for making all the bookings and to easily organizing the trip.
- Checkout various destinations to travel
- Get weather, travel, transport, hotel information about any city
- View fun facts and trends of the destination
- Get information about interesting places or monuments on the way also
- Organize your trips with our My Trips feature
- Meet new people on the way & share your contact with them easily
- Prepare a travel checklist
Note: To use this app you need to have an account with TravelMate, or signup for one. Without an account, this app will not work.
Yalp Store lets you download apps directly from Google Play Store as apk files. It can search for updates of installed apps and lets you search for other apps. Yalp saves downloaded apks to your default download folder. Other features include browsing categories, viewing and leaving reviews, black/whitelisting apps for updates, filtering apps by being free/paid and containing/not containing ads.
To supplement the features related to Google Play, Yalp Store has ordinary package manager features: listing, running, installing and uninstalling local apps.
If root is available, Yalp Store can update your apps in background, install and uninstall system apps. Yalp Store can be installed as a system app to gain background package installation permission. In ths case "Unknown sources" setting can be left off. You can let Yalp Store self-install as a system app, or get the OTA zip from the releases page.
The point of Yalp Store is to be small and independent from Google Services Framework. You might want to use Yalp Store is if you frequently flash experimental ROMs. This often breaks gapps and even prevents their reinstallation. In this situation Yalp will still work.
By default Yalp Store connects to Google services using a built-in account, so you do not have to own a Google account to use it. The only reason to use a live Google account is to access the paid apps you own or leave reviews.
Aurora Store is an alternate to Google's Play Store, with an elegant design, using Aurora you can download apps, update existing apps, search for apps, get details about in-app trackers, spoof your location and much more.
Periodically checks if your installed apps can be updated.
It was created for users who don't use the Google Play Store, but still need to know when new APKs are available for their apps. ApkTrack performs simple website scraping to grab the latest versions of packages present on the device. ApkTrack can query F-Droid, PlayStore, Xposed, plus many other sources of APKs via the ApkTrack Proxy.
G-Droid is a client application to browse the F-Droid repository. It has a slighly different approach of UI design to the F-Droid client.
This app contains texts from Stoics including those of Emperor Marcus Aurelius, the freed slave Epictetus, and Seneca. It contains other, less well known, Stoic texts too.
Simple Meme Creator - Completely ad-free and adds no watermarks.
Memes can be created from image templates in MemeTastic pictures folder, from pictures shared into the app and pictures from gallery & camera. No internet connection required or used.
There are many meme customization options available:
- Top & bottom caption
- Font & border text color
- Text size, font and capitalization
- Padding size & color
- Rotate picture
- Show saved memes & favorites
- Share into any app accepting pictures