"Invictus" by William Ernest Henley

Last updated Feb. 13, 2019, 6:16 p.m. by Author

Tags: literature poetry

"Invictus" is a short Victorian poem by the English poet William Ernest Henley (1849–1903). It was written in 1875 and published in 1888 in his first volume of poems, Book of Verses, in the section Life and Death (Echoes).

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Similar posts:

"If-" by Rudyard Kipling

19 comments

Comments:

Comment 1 by JinHua YiFei Electric Technology Co., Ltd. Jan. 15, 2021, 1:41 p.m.

569712LJM0X2837 JinHua YiFei Electric Technology Co., Ltd.

Comment 2 by ピアジェ時計コピー Jan. 15, 2021, 5:15 p.m.

Medical Monitor Factory ピアジェスーパーコピー

Comment 3 by kd12 Jan. 15, 2021, 8:55 p.m.

I am just commenting to make you understand of the wonderful encounter our child obtained browsing your blog. She figured out a good number of details, most notably what it is like to have an amazing teaching style to have others quite simply know various very confusing issues. You actually surpassed our own desires. Many thanks for giving those necessary, dependable, explanatory as well as unique tips about the topic to Kate. [url=http://www.kd12.org]kd12[/url]

Comment 4 by Golden One Co., Ltd. Jan. 15, 2021, 11:49 p.m.

ティファニー指輪偽物 Golden One Co., Ltd.

Comment 5 by カルティエタンクレプリカ Jan. 16, 2021, 11:15 a.m.

欧美牲交AⅤ カルティエタンク偽物

Comment 6 by 欧美性爱视频 Jan. 16, 2021, 3:11 p.m.

プラダ財布?小物 快车足彩

Comment 7 by Plastic Injection Cap Spray Mold Jan. 17, 2021, 11:59 a.m.

高品質カルティエブレスレットコピー Plastic Injection Cap Spray Mold

Comment 8 by スーパーコピーカルティエ Jan. 17, 2021, 7:51 p.m.

Car Seat Storage Organizer スーパーコピーカルティエ

Comment 9 by stephen curry shoes Jan. 18, 2021, 12:48 a.m.

Thanks for all of the hard work on this site. My mum delights in managing investigation and it's really easy to understand why. We learn all of the powerful mode you produce informative information through this web blog and as well improve participation from some other people on the theme then my child is undoubtedly understanding a whole lot. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the year. You're the one conducting a wonderful job. stephen curry shoes [url=http://www.stephencurry-shoes.us.com]stephen curry shoes[/url]

Comment 10 by China LED Jan. 18, 2021, 11:50 a.m.

BB41BSSDCH China LED

Comment 11 by Hanging Glass Clamp Jan. 18, 2021, 5:15 p.m.

ゼニスエルプリメロレプリカ Hanging Glass Clamp

Comment 12 by Kitchen Water Purifier Supplier Jan. 19, 2021, 5:18 a.m.

タグホイヤーカレラコピー Kitchen Water Purifier

Comment 13 by 50535 Jan. 19, 2021, 11:13 p.m.

Cartoon Student Wallet ロレックス最高品質時計

Comment 14 by タグホイヤーカレラレプリカ Jan. 20, 2021, 7:26 p.m.

Digital Vision Touch Interactive Whiteboard CV2A1FFT6033

Comment 15 by 贝博足彩 Jan. 20, 2021, 9:33 p.m.

ガガミラノシンクロノ46mm偽物 澳门博狗

Comment 16 by curry 8 Jan. 21, 2021, 5:32 a.m.

I must show some thanks to you for bailing me out of this particular problem. After checking throughout the world-wide-web and meeting strategies which are not powerful, I believed my life was gone. Being alive devoid of the approaches to the difficulties you have sorted out by way of your blog post is a critical case, as well as those that could have negatively affected my career if I had not encountered your website. Your primary expertise and kindness in taking care of all the things was priceless. I am not sure what I would've done if I hadn't discovered such a point like this. I can also now relish my future. Thanks for your time very much for your specialized and effective guide. I won't be reluctant to suggest your web blog to anybody who should get tips on this situation. curry 8 [url=http://www.curry8shoes.us]curry 8[/url]

Comment 17 by 126203 Jan. 21, 2021, 9:30 a.m.

Customized Large Gift Box ロレックスデイデイトコピー

Comment 18 by Ampoule Washing Machine Sop Jan. 21, 2021, 3:03 p.m.

グッチ時計コピー Ampoule Washing Machine Sop

Comment 19 by ミュウミュウバッグ Jan. 21, 2021, 11:14 p.m.

Induction Motor RL0052X72002